The Roger Bacon Academy wishes you and your family a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
We hope you all have a wonderful and safe break, and we will see you back at school for the start of Quarter 3 on January 4th.
Lakesha McDay, New Hanover Community Endowment Executive Vice President and Steve Smith, CCS-America Lead Administrator
CCS-Wilmington Receives Grant
Classical Charter Schools of America is happy to share that CCS-Wilmington has been selected to receive a grant from the New Hanover Community Endowment!
The grant will help improve and expand our school’s facilities at the historic Peabody Building. This beautiful historic building has housed the Wilmington campus since 2013. To continue providing families in Wilmington’s inner city with our classical education, additional facility improvements and equipment will further enhance learning opportunities and increase enjoyment for all students. This grant will make that possible.
We offer our sincere thanks for this vote of confidence in the work we are doing and we look forward to continuing this work at all CCS-America schools!
[Latin] “allows you to adore words, take them apart, and find out where they come from.” -Doctor Seuss
At CCS-America schools, we are proud to teach Latin. Here are a few reasons why:
- 80% of English words come from Latin so it helps expand vocabulary
- Latin is at the root of the languages spoken in 57 countries so other languages are more-easily accessible
- Latin is based on logic and reasoning, which leads to greater mathematical understanding
- Latin helps us understand English grammar, which improves writing skills
- Students who have studied Latin consistently outscore students of Spanish and French on college admission tests
CCS-America students begin learning Latin in 4th grade and continue through 8th grade.
Meet Ms. Brooke Butcher Gooden! Ms. Gooden graduated RBA in 2008 and has recently returned to the classroom as a 1st grade teacher in Elizabethtown, NC. Learn about Ms. Gooden and how her RBA education not only shaped her academically, but also morally here!